Saturday, May 25, 2013

Hummingbird and Columbine


Happy Memorial Day Weekend! 

We had a warm and beautiful week, last week. Now that the holiday weekend is here, It's cold. I mean cold, like it dipped into the 30's last night. It's suppose to warm up a little by tomorrow so there's still hope for some outside activities without jackets.

I guess it was cold yesterday and today for a reason......so I could get some cards made. I can now do some creating without a sling on my arm so I have more freedom of my left hand. I still have lots of pain, but you don't realize how much you need both arms until you can't use one for a while. 


I have a baggie of pre-colored images already printed out for ages now, so I thought I would match them up with some of the new digi papers from Fred She Said, called Floral Surprise, for this card. This digital paper set was designed by Donna of Bearly Mine Designs using various floral graphics from Fred She Said Designs.

I found the image of the Hummingbird and Columbine and knew it was perfect. As soon as I saw this brown background paper, I fell in love. It just makes the flowers pop so beautifully. I decided to also print the paper in green. Come back next Friday, May 31st for the Fred She Said Blog Hop and see the card I made with the green paper and purple crocuses.
 I tried a technique where I cut may base card 5" x 7". Then the DP was cut 4 3/4" x 6 3/4". From there, I wasn't sure what would happen. I cut a 1" frame from that piece. Then took the piece from the center and cut a 1" frame from that. Then the little piece in the middle was what was left. I then matted each piece with retired CTMH Sunkiss Yellow Cardstock each being 1/4" bigger then the DP.  It was so beautiful that I hated to covert it up. But the image was already printed. Had it not been, I would have made it smaller. 

I used some hot pink seam binding to wrap the top of the second piece and add a bow. I usually like to add more embellishments to my cards, but the background paper is so busy that I didn't think further embellishments were necessary. 
I did however, add some hand stitching with yellow embroidery floss around the edge of the base dp.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Beautiful card Nancy. I love the image and gorgeous papers.
I am pleased that you are able to do a bit more crafting now, hopefully the pain will ease off soon.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend
Sue xx

Patricia Chalas said...

Both cards are wonderful Nancy !! so cute papers....